Hindsight

running
In 1989 my life changed forever. I did not realize yet, as I awoke from a coma, that I would never physically function the same again. I did regain walking with the help of adaptive aids but remained weak from nerve and muscle damage which remains. After I was home recovering I wrote the musings below but I have since learned hindsight is worthless except for beautiful memories. My life turned out to be wonderful with joy and successes I could have never imagined possible.
Every once in  while I drag this prose out because it now makes me smile that I have come so far in my ability to appreciate life with no regrets.
If 
If I would have known,
I would have ran one more time
I would have raced until the wind took my hair,
Until the landscape was but a blur

Until my muscles were used up with joy and exhaustion
My heart beat thundering in my ear
My skin glistening with sweat
My eyes burning from salt
I would have jumped with abandon
Every stump, every fence,
every moss covered rock

I would have hiked a lonely trail
And walked after dinner until sunset sent me home 
If I had known,
I would have ran one more time.
 Anyoneteachone.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pantyhose Anyone?

Short Term Memory

Bye Bye Landlines